SACRAMENTO PUBLIC RELATIONS ASSOCIATION UNPAID INTERNSHIP
Classification: Intern, unpaid position; eligible for university credit
Reports to: Student Liaison Chair(s)
Length: Spring 2017 (February – May)
Hours: Flexible hours. 20 – 30 hours per month.
Applications due: Jan. 20, 2017 at 5 p.m.
The Sacramento Public Relations Association (SPRA) provides public relations professionals with career enhancement opportunities and advocates for the profession within the greater Sacramento region.
The organization was founded in 1959, and continues to play a vital role in the region’s public relations community by:
- Creating opportunities to advance the professional reputation of public relations
- Advancing the professional skills of members engaged in the field of communication with professional development information
- Encouraging dialogue by providing opportunities to meet with others in the business to learn new and better methods of performing our craft
- Assisting college students in their effort to become public relations professionals
Interns will have opportunities to shadow SPRA Board of Directors, develop relationships with PR professionals across Sacramento, practice and build PR and communications skills, participate in events and learn how a nonprofit Board of Directors operates. SPRA internships are voluntary and unpaid.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties typically include, but are not limited to:
- Event planning and logistics
- Drafting PR materials and content (across print and digital platforms)
- Conducting PR outreach
- Membership, sponsorship and student participation recruitment
- Exposure to the SPRA Board of Directors operations
- Administrative duties and staffing support
- Assist with other special projects and tasks as assigned by SPRA Board
INTERN QUALIFICATIONS NECESSARY
- Full-time student; If you are an undergraduate student, you must have completed your freshman year of college
- Ability to attend and participate in SPRA events including:
- Four monthly board meetings
- One evening mixer event
- One afternoon luncheon event
INTERN QUALIFICATIONS DESIRED
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; editing/proofing experience a plus
- Solid understanding of social media and strong organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Able to work effectively with minimum supervision
- Should be eager to learn new things; initiative is fundamental
- Previous communications experience and PR internships a plus
- Be responsible, reliable, and attentive to detail
Interested applicants should meet the above criteria and submit as early as possible. Multiple positions may be available until filled.
Please provide the following to email@example.com:
- Cover letter including why you are interested in the internship
- Major and year in school
- Cumulative GPA