Public Relations Specialist
The Public Relations Specialist position is an integral part of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership (DSP) Communications team. This position implements and manages media-focused public relations (PR) strategies to reinforce DSP’s mission and enhance the image of downtown Sacramento. The Public Relations Specialist is responsible for focusing internal and external PR activities that support business development and advocacy efforts while promoting downtown Sacramento’s reputation. This position also maintains regular contact with other departments to coordinate and execute PR tactics that ensure information is disseminated in a timely and positive manner.
As DSP’s initial point of contact for media inquiries, this position is responsible for cultivating and maintaining relationships with local media representatives and key stakeholders; developing proactive and reactive media relations messages, as well as internal messages; monitoring, pitching and reporting editorial coverage; and establishing a cohesive and positive brand image for DSP.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to: developing public relations materials and marketing copy; preparing fact sheets, press releases, speeches and reports; tracking editorial calendars; assisting in coordinating and preparing for media interviews; planning and support for special events and promotions; measurement and evaluation of communications activities; research; database creation and management; managing archives and photo resources; and supporting social media and digital campaigns. This position is also responsible for content creation; report preparation, and other marketing support.
The Public Relations Specialist reports to and maintains close communication with the Director of Communications and frequently collaborates with senior leadership.
- Passion for downtown Sacramento.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and ability to think outside the box.
- Excellent analytical and presentation skills.
- Adept at handling many assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to balance strategic thinking and execution in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative and resourceful.
- A clear understanding of Sacramento’s media landscape.
- Abreast of new and noteworthy trends and marketing opportunities.
- B.A./B.S. in Communications, Public Relations, or related discipline preferred.
- 3-4 years in media relations, marketing, and communications experience.
- Proficiency with public relations practices.
- Experience writing in Associated Press (AP) style